UX + UI + User Research + Insomnia
I joined CommonBond right when they were kicking off a complete and total *internal* rebrand project. If you're not familiar with rebrands, holy moly they are a lot of work. Usually companies hire an external agency to do it. Anyways, I ended up owning a few big pieces to that puzzle...
Create a new digital design system, scale that system to our all of our apps, redesign the product marketing website with that new system, and build that newly designed website in a new software—in two months. I’m not crying… you’re crying.
Houston, we have some problems...
In an ideal world we’d wait to ship the website until after we’ve finalized our decisions on every element of the new design system. We’d have pixel perfect sketch docs ready to be built in Webflow. In reality all of these things were in flux until the deadline.
After conducting interviews with key stakeholders across several functional teams we identified a signifigant bottlenecking issue between Marketing and Technology. Marketers had to have developers implement every change they needed to make to the website (and many many landing pages). Developers were struggling to balance meeting the needs of the marketers while also meeting deadlines critical to the product roadmap.
Let's face it... not everyone is a finance bro. So it's not super surprising that we found people were spending a lot of time on the FAQs. While it's great to have a place where users can get clarity... it's not great that so many users were struggling to understand our product offerings in the first place.
Work smarter, not harder. We leaned in on Sketch's symbols capabilities. We built a system of CSS classes that matched the sketch symbols. The approach: less is more. All labels are H5. No more .form-label-1, .specific-table-header, .gotta-catch-em-all-if-we-make-a-change.
TLDR; Build a system where you can update all of the instances of a particular element at once.
We conducted a workshop with the marketers to gain more insight into their key objectives and uncover opportunities to improve their workflow.
In order to deliver on their OKRs they needed the ability to rapidly create and test custom landing pages.
We discovered patterns in the types of information these landing pages needed to display and created a library of drag and drop components that marketers could use to DIY their own landing pages.
Due to timeline restrictions we had to forgo user interviews and find alternative ways to quickly glean qualitative data about your user needs.
Our Care Team is on the front lines with users, helping them through the struggles they encounter with our products everyday. They have a wealth of information and insight into why customers are confused. So we chatted with a few customer care experts about what they've observed over the years in calls.
I'm also big on utilizing quantitative data in my process, especially when on a tight deadline. So we also analyzed funnel data to find drop off points on key product pages, created heat maps of the FAQs, and did a keyword analysis of customer chatbot entries to find common question patterns.
Once we had the baseline for understanding what our users weren't understanding we were able to use that as the foundation for our UX writing decisions.